Monday, October 24, 2011

Oven Baked Tempeh


Since I have a few vegan’s/vegetarians following me, I thought it would be fun to have a vegan/vegetarian week.  So if I do not follow the rules completely I apologize but I am sure y’all will be able to make the correct adjustments.

For my first dish of the week I made Oven Baked Tempeh and I loved it.  It was very easy to make, had great flavor and was very healthy of course.  The recipe calls for seasoned tempeh and the grocery store I went to only had original flavor, so I did some reading and decided to add a little garlic powder and onion powder to it before adding it in with everything else.  Vegan or non-vegan, I highly recommend this recipe!



Here is the recipe:

            1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
            1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
            1 leek, sliced
            1/3 cup shallots, chopped
            1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
            4 cloves garlic, minced
            2 cups baby carrots, halved
            1 cup diced zucchini (I recommend a little more)
            1 (8 ounce) package seasoned tempeh
            1/2 cup dry sherry
            1 tomato, chopped
1 tablespoon tamari (I used 2 Tbsp)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Place oil and crushed red pepper in a stovetop-safe and oven proof 2 quart casserole dish. Saute over medium heat for 1 minute. Add leek, shallot, red bell pepper and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes. Add the carrots and zucchini. Saute, stirring frequently for 5 minutes. Add the tempeh and saute for 5 more minutes. Add the sherry, tomato and tamari. Saute for an additional 5 minutes.
Cover casserole dish and bake in at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.

I am not a vegan obviously (see previous post), and I loved this!  I hope you do too!

Stuffed,

Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment